Attorneys at Law

Edward J. Quinlan, Esq

Richard H. Sadowski, Esq


David T. Keenan, Esq


Magdalena A. Loret, Esq


Of Counsel

Robert Hoffer


Quinlan & Sadowski, P.C.

Attorneys at Law

11 Vanderbilt Ave.

Suite 250

Norwood, MA. 02062

Phone: 781-440-9909

Fax: 781-440-9979 


From The Mailbag


I got hurt at work and am unable to work as a result. Can my employer fire me?

Many of the clients that come into the office for their initial conference start with this question. The short answer is yes, and most employers do just that. If you are not at work, whether it is due to a work related incident or not, the employer is generally within its rights to terminate the injured worker. The only thing the employer cannot do is discriminate against you because you were hurt at work. In other words, if the employer treats the injured worker differently than another employee who is unable to work, the injured worker may have a discrimination claim against the employer, in addition to the workers compensation claim.

When can I expect to start receiving benefits when I get hurt at work?

Once an employee misses 5 days of work due to a work injury, the employer is required to notify its workers compensation insurer of the injury. The insurer then has 14 days to decide to pay or deny the claim. Most insurers will start paying benefits within that time frame. If the insurer issues a denial , ignores the notice from the employer or if the employer never sends the insurer the required notice, a claim must be filed in order for the employee to receive benefits.

What benefits can I expect to receive if I am injured at work?

There are 4 types of benefits:

  1. Weekly checks. Sixty percent of the injured workers average weekly wage for as long as the injured worker is totally disabled for up to 3 years. There are also partial disability benefits for those workers who have some earning capacity, but are not able to earn as much as they earned before they were injured. Those benefits last for up to 4-5 years.
  2. Medical coverage for the injury sustained.
  3. Scarring on the face, neck or hands, and loss of function benefits.
  4. Retraining through the Office of Education and Vocational Rehabilitation.
If you have questions or concerns about a personal injury matter contact us.

RJH August 2013

All information on this site is for advertising and general informational purposes only and is not to be construed as legal advice or an agreement to provide legal services. The issues discussed are not answers to specific questions and if a reader has issues of a similar nature, consultation with an attorney is recommended. This firm will not be engaged in an attorney-client relationship without the explicit written agreement between this firm and any potential client